WEYLAND MEGACORP ARCHIVES
MOON: “Mare Tranquillitatis” SEA OF TRANQUILITY  COLONY
|TERRAFORMED: 2031 – 2039||POPULATION: 2,200,000|
INDUSTRY: Light Manufacturing, Cybernetics, Biotech, Security, Education, Mining
NOTES: The moon’s light gravity makes it ideal for specific types of technology manufacturing and biotech development
|KEY RESOURCES: Titanium, Helium-3, Hydrogen, Aluminum, Silica|
Events on Luna
- 10-Aug-2031 – TERRAFORMING BEGINS ON LUNA WITH PLANS FOR MULTIPLE SETTLEMENTS.
- 28-May-2039 – THE FIRST BREATHABLE ATMOSPHERE IS CREATED ON AN EXTRASOLAR PLANET FOLLOWING THE DEPLOYMENT OF A WEYLAND ATMOSPHERE PROCESSOR. *Luna colony becomes the first extra-planetary colony established.
- 10-Aug-2041 Sea of Tranquility colony established.
- 1-Jan-2065 – Sieg and Son have established manufacturing facilities in London, Buenos Aires, Nagasaki and the Schickard-Wargentin Frontier (Luna).
- 14-Jun-2071 – A HANDFUL OF WEYLAND CYBERNETICS REPAIR STATIONS, MOSTLY ON EARTH AND LUNA, HAVE RECEIVED SOME REPORTS, LESS THAN A FEW DOZEN REPORTS, THAT CERTAIN DAVID 7 UNITS… HAVE MALFUNCTIONED WHILE IN SERVICE
- 7-Jan-2092 – ELLEN LOUISE RIPLEY (ID# 759/L2-01N) IS BORN. IN OLYMPIA, LUNA, UA. LUNA – UNITED STATES.
- 7-Jan-2094 – RIPLEY IS CONFINED TO A LUNAR QUARANTINE FACILITY FOLLOWING AN OUTBREAK OF XMB VIRUS.
- 28-Oct-2112 – LAMBERT STARTS WORKING AS SHIPPING LANE TRAFFICATOR FOR FARSIDE LUNAR MINING AT PLYMOUTH/ LUNA-UA
- 5-Feb-2114 – LAMBERT FINISHES HER ASSIGNMENT WITH FAR SIDE LUNAR MINING.
Helium – 3
The Apollo programme’s own geologist, Harrison Schmidt, has repeatedly made the argument for Helium-3 mining, whilst Gerald Kulcinski at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is another leading proponent. He has created a small reactor at the Fusion Technology Institute, but so far it has not been possible to create the helium fusion reaction with a net power output.
This has not stopped the search for Helium-3 from being a motivating factor in space exploration, however. Apart from the traditional space-faring nations, the India has previously indicated its interest in mining the lunar surface. The use of Moon resources was also part of Newt Gingrich’s unsuccessful candidacy for the Republican party’s nomination for the US presidency in 2012.
Private enterprise is also interested in using fuel from the Moon – although possibly by extracting water rather than Helium-3. The Shackleton Energy company envisages providing propellant for missions throughout the Solar System using lunar water.The Moon could be used as a base for further exploration
Some teams vying for the Google Lunar X-Prize also see mining as an ultimate goal of their landers. ESA has also considered using the Moon to help missions farther into the Solar System.
Resources will be used in space, starting with water which can be split by solar power into oxygen and hydrogen fuel for spaceships.
Stony asteroids and meteorites typically contain 36% oxygen, 26% iron, 18% silicon, 14% magnesium as well as smaller amounts of aluminum, nickel and calcium. With the proper refining technology a stony meteorite could produce plenty of other building materials (silicon and aluminum are used on Earth in construction projects of all kinds). Earths crust has oxygen, silicon aluminum iron and other minerals, so the processing of an asteroid wouldn’t require totally new technology, just a few refinements to account for gravity and other conditions particular to space mining.
Elements such as gold and platinum can be found on some asteroids. But water, silicon, nickel, and iron are the elements expected to become central to a space “economy” should it ever develop.
Meaning Sea of Tranquility in Latin, for a large, dark, basaltic plain, formed by ancient volcanic eruptions. They were dubbed maria, Latin for “seas”, by early astronomers who mistook them for actual seas.
The mare material within the basin consists of basalt formed in the intermediate to a young age group of the Upper Imbrian… material closer to the surface; or the top melting as heat flowed upwards through the mantle because of reduced overlying thermal insulation.
- “Moon Mare/Maria”. Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature. USGS Astrogeology. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- Moon Packed with Precious Titanium, NASA Probe Finds, By SPACE.com Staff | October 11, 2011 07:00am ET https://www.space.com/13247-moon-map-lunar-titanium.html
- Helium-3 Mining on Lunar surface by eesa, https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Preparing_for_the_Future/Space_for_Earth/Energy/Helium-3_mining_on_the_lunar_surface
- Space mining takes giant leap from sci-fi to reality, Clive Cookson OCTOBER 19, 2017 https://www.ft.com/content/78e8cc84-7076-11e7-93ff-99f383b09ff9
- The Possibilities of Mining Asteroids and the Moon for Resources, written by: S.L. Bradish • edited by: RC Davison • updated: 9/11/2009 https://www.brighthub.com/science/space/articles/4320.aspx
The Promise and Perils of Mining Asteroids, BYPUBLISHED
- “Mare Tranquillitatis,” Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature.